Tuesday, January 27, 2009

CQWW 160M CW Contest - every day is Field Day at KM6I

This last weekend was the CQWW 160M CW Contest. I was fighting a nasty cold, and wasn't planning on operating, mostly because I had no antenna for 160. However, I started to feel better on Saturday afternoon, so when I had an hour to myself, I measured 132 feet of 18 ga wire, launched a line into my Ginkgo tree, and hauled up an inverted L (well. the shape is more of a "C", but whatever). The highest point is about 40 feet, and the end slopes down to about 10 feet.

After the kids went to bed, I was still mostly awake, so I played for about 2 hours, took a break, and finished with another 45 minute stint. All S&P, I made 80 contacts in 2 3/4 hours (79 after my duh! dupe - thanks AD7AF for being nice, just logging me, and moving on). That's about 29/hour, which is a personal best for me from this QTH. No DX other than a KL7, but it was pretty easy to work stateside, and I even picked up a few new states for WAS.

No comments: