Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My CW genes

If I have even a little talent for CW it's due to my genes. This is my grandfather, George E. Good, who was a telegrapher for the Soo Line Railroad.



I still have my grandpa's bug - a 1917 Vibroplex. I sure wish it was in this photo, but I just can't seem to see it.

I wonder how big a deal it was for grandpa to give me his bug? It would have been around 1976-1977. At first, I thought maybe telegraphy had been long gone by that time, but this post says "and I had just begun as a small boy to recognize Marshfield's call letters of "SF" when the Soo Line pulled out all the Telegraphs in the early 1970's. " I can't help but wonder how big a deal it was for him to give me his bug? It certainly meant a lot to me, and it got a lot of use in my novice/general shack in the late 1970s.

Thanks, Grandpa!

P.S. If any blog viewers can identify the equipment in this photo, I'd love to hear from you.



No comments: